My Neighborhood Has the Bestest Signs!

My Neighborhood Has the Bestest Signs!

I have been remiss in adding to this blog over the past few weeks, because I’ve been working, and working hard, from sunrise to long into the night. (Spare a moment and a tear for your resident Crow, hunched over his desk, making sales and editing manuscripts and only rising when vision and good posture have gone for good. O, the crippling effects of labor! &c.) And while I have been tinkering with a few posts about the Industry and where it may or may not be going, neither is done.

One day soon, Chris and I will institute “Plagiarism Fridays” here, but in the meanwhile, some local sights that prove that, like it or not, we live in a post-literate culture. (Where are the SPOGGians when you need ‘em?)

#1. “Yo, keep your effing metrics off our ball field, Eurotrash!”

Litering

#2. “Trust me: You don’t want to know what we call a dog round here.”

Dog

#3. “Oh, I am so sory that I wuz trubled by yur trak werk!”

Subway

#4. Actually no errors in this sign, but I at first misread it as “Overcome obstacles with Oversize Pants” and did a double-take. The day was all downhill from there.

Pants

Have a good weekend, everyone! And may your oversized pants help you overcome every obstacle!

1. HA! Love those. I once saw a sign in my neighborhood for a “Huge Baby Sale.” Poor baby.

2. Jody, that baby grew up to be a Wicked Big Toddlah. I read about it in a picture book.

And Michael, thanks for giving SPOGG something to rip off today.

3. Forget Plagiarism Fridays, I vote for Absurd Signs Fridays.

4. We lived in England for a while and for months I read their rental
    “To Let” signs as “Toilet”….

5. My personal favorite was the church billboard in Syracuse, NY that read, “Come join us at St. Mary’s First Anal Pancake Breakfast!”

6. These are awesome! A few years back, I found a particular gem. The people that paint the roads had stenciled in “Shool Zone” instead of the more traditional School Zone. O:)

7. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Author SM Blooding and Upstart Crow. Upstart Crow said: Now on the Upstart Crow blog: My Neighborhood Has the Bestest Signs! (http://tinyurl.com/yhekvtx) […]

8. I’d like to pint out that I never liter. There’s a big fine for doing that, and then you have to go to quart.

9. Danette, that is awesome and terrible—bless you!

Oh, and the natural follow up to such a joke is this: http://www.sadtrombone.com

10. I love it! We have a neighbor with signs that say “Don’t Walk on the Grovel.” You wouldn’t walk anyway, would you? Wouldn’t you kneel? :)