Tyra Banks, America’s Next Top Reader!

Tyra Banks, America’s Next Top Reader!

HotReadsbigOver the holidays, the Crows took some time away from the fire of agenting to read things other than manuscripts and contracts. (I know, I know—who knew there was anything else? But it turns out the world of print is far bigger than just our little grimy corner of the bookstore. Will the wonders never cease!?) Some of us lost ourselves in the fat new Stephen King novel; others laughed their asses off over a Bill Bryson book (a helluva way to lose weight); still others turned for inspiration to that magazine of national record In Style to see just what it is we should be reading.

What books can the stars not put down?

TyraIsReadingThere is the usual highbrow name checking going on—though I don’t know whether to give Rashida Jones and Jennifer Garner props for moving beyond the current bestseller list, or a raised eyebrow: maybe this book has just been sitting there on the nightstand gathering dust for the past few years. But the true wonder of this list is what Tyra Banks is reading: The Facttracker, a terrific middle-grade novel from Harper Collins. Is this perfect for her reading level? (She is, after all, the woman who needed to coin the term “SMIZE” because saying “Smile with your eyes” again and again proved too taxing.) Does she even know it’s for ten-year-olds? Did she think it was all about “facts”? Has she figured out yet that it’s fiction? Whatever the case, for choosing a children’s book, we here at Upstart Crow Literary salute Tyra Banks, America’s Next Top Reader.

1. This simply baffles me. I actually have this book on my shelf; if I leave it under my pillow at night, do you think Tyra will come visit me?

2. I wonder if this was a publicist’s mistake (or prank?). Still, it’s making me smile. And smize, too.

3. Michael, Tyra’s people just called. Tyra’s going to gouge out your liver with an eyelash curler and make eye cream with it. Only she might not know which is your liver, and she might take a kidney or two, as well.

Have a nice day!

4. Chris: Have you ever actually sat through an episode of Top Model or her Talk show? Would you really WANT her showing up in the middle of the night? I think I’d be a little afraid.

5. Am I the only one who really, really wants to believe it’s on the level? I don’t think Tyra is stupid, though I wouldn’t have pegged her for a big reader, and I would LOVE to think she can appreciate a good middle-grade novel and not be afraid to admit it.

6. Um. Are you implying that intelligent adults are not allowed to enjoy MG&YA novels? I have no love for Tyra, but I do love MG&YA.

7. As much as I can get Tyra jabs in (mainly from watching The Soup, not actually her shows) I enjoy a good middle grade book sometimes too.

I’m not surprised Jennifer Garner is reading off the best seller list. She’s seems like more of a reader than…um…Tyra.

8. No comment… just LMAO at the post and other comments…

9. I like to think she’s reading it aloud to a niece or nephew.

(Although I agree with Anne #1 in that I love a good MG book myself!)

10. I have to laugh at the barbs, but in my heart, I hope this is on the level. There is such an attitude about reading “below level,” and I am afraid you all are perpetuating it. I prefer literature for young people and am always surprised at the parents who have no idea what their kids are reading. They are not only missing some truely great reads but a perfect opening for a conversation with their kids. I guess I have to be a Tyra Banks fan now, I hope that doesn’t mean I have to watch the show.

11. I often watch the Tyra Banks show late in the afternoon. Great show and great host.:-:

12. Tyra is a great tv show host and i love watching her TV show, i learn a lot from her show,”;